Bonhams' upcoming Modern Decorative Art + Design auction, which will be held on April 17 at Bonhams Los Angeles showroom, is perfectly curated for today's Los Angeles. The collection pays tribute to mid-century California design with pieces from the 1940s through the 1990s and ranges in style from stark, modern design to high-style Hollywood.
“The current art and design scene in Los Angeles is a reinvigoration similar to the spirit we saw in the mid-century,” said Jason Stein, director of Bonhams Modern Decorative Art & Design. “California is an amazing state where 'anything is possible,' and avant-garde makers are flourishing again. The auction is important to local and global collectors of California Design with superb examples by Sam Maloof, John Dickinson, Peter Voulkos and others."
Rare items available at the Bonhams Modern Decorative Art + Design Los Angeles sale:
- Charles & Ray Eames Rare BT13 Vertical Stabilizer circa 1943 (estimate $15,000 - 25,000)
- Sam Maloof Rare Double Rocking Chair circa 2016 (estimate $30,000 - 50,000)
- Paul T. Frankl Skyscraper Bookcase circa 1926 (estimate $20,000 - 30,000)
- Samuel Marx Chest of Drawers circa 1940 (estimate $15,000 - 25,000)
- Ignazio Gardella Shelving Unit circa 1955 (estimate $15,000 - 20,000)
- Suite of custom John Dickinson furniture circa 1970 (estimate $6,000 - 18,000)
- Mid-Century Julius Shulman photography circa 1947 - 1960 (estimate $4,000 - 15,000)
- Private collection of Peter Voulkos ceramic pottery (estimate $600 - 6,000)
Stein designed this auction as an approachable event for first-time auction buyers and seasoned professionals alike. The event will feature room experiences styled by Los Angeles designer and gallerest Patrick Dragonette.
“My goal in staging the preview for this sale is the same goal I bring to my interiors work—to create a timeless space,” said Dragonette. “To do this you need to include works from different eras and styles to remain fresh. That’s why guests will also notice materials included from other upcoming Bonhams sales.”
The Modern Decorative Art + Design sale will preview for free at Bonhams Los Angeles from April 13-16 with the auction to be held April 17 at 1:00 p.m. PST